Loan Celts

Loan Celt Gallagher scores at Hampden


Loan Celt Declan Gallagher was on target at Hampden yesterday as Stranraer came from behind to beat Queens Park 3-1.

The big defender played his last game for the Celtic u-19s against Rangers at Hampden in the final of the SFA Youth Cup in April and joined former Celt Grant Gallagher in the Stranraer side.

Gallagher headed home a Scott Agnew corner with seven minutes left to play to keep Stranraer two points ahead of Albion Rovers at the top of the table.

“It’s every footballer’s dream to score at Hampden and I was delighted – until I heard Celtic’s result against Aberdeen,” Deccy joked.

“I’ll have to get into training early so I can tell the gaffer and the boys about it. I will maybe have to take the laptop in to show them what a goal it was. Once the rest get in, all they will be talking about will be the Aberdeen game.

“Seriously though, I’m having a great time at Stranraer. Neil and Alan Thompson asked me if I wanted to go out and gain experience.

“It didn’t take me long to make my mind up, as Stranraer are a very good side.

“I’ve only played three games for them and been surprised by how fast the pace of play is in Division Three.

“The quality of football is higher than some people think and I’m learning a lot. Hopefully at the end of my loan spell in January, I can go back to Celtic a better player unless Stranraer and Neil think it may be better for me to stay here longer. Either way I’ll be happy.”

Second placed Albion Rovers also won 2-0 away from home, at Montrose, with hoops keeper Daniele Giordano playing for the home side.

In Division One Jason Marr had the misfortune to have his match refereed by Dougie McDonald with Falkirk losing 1-0 to Ross County who had Michael McGovern and Paul Lawson in their side.

Ryan Conroy continued his impressive form for Queen of the South scoring the only goal of the game in their 1-0 win away at league leaders Raith Rovers.

Sean Fitzharris was missing from the Morton side that beat Dunfermline 2-1 with Carlo Monti’s 36th minute penalty proving decisive.

Dundee won their first match since going into administration by beating Partick Thistle 2-1 at Dens Park in front of 6,000 fans angered by the SFL’s 25 point deduction which virtually guarantees the home side relegation- if they are still in business.

Rab Douglas, Gary Irvine and Nicky Riley played for the home side with Scott Fox returning to the club that made him redundant last month.

Fox is playing without pay for Thistle until the transfer window re-opens with Jackie McNamara also playing for the visitors.

Down south it was all the fun of the cup for the Celtic connections with Josh Thompson watching from the bench on Friday night as FC United of Manchester stunned Rochdale with a 3-2 win.

Graham Carey fared slightly better with Huddersfield being held to a 0-0 draw away to Blue Square outfit Cambridge. If Huddersfield come through the replay they’ll face Macclesfield or Southend at home for a place in the third round with the Premiership clubs.

Ben Hutchinson was substituted during Lincoln’s 1-0 win over Nuneaton which earned them an away tie at Hereford in the next round.

Scott Cuthbert was in the Swindon side that won 4-0 away to Plymouth with Paul Caddis replacing Jon Paul McGovern midway through the second half.

Artur Boruc’s winning Serie A debut

Follow Video Celts on TwitterFacebook and YouTube

Share this article

Online and independent- the only way to be. Enjoying instant news access and reaction, following the trends if not an influencer!