Date: 21st April 2016 at 7:54pm
Written by:

development team’s Development side continued on their winning ways with a comfortable 2-0 win over St Mirren tonight.

First half goals from and extracted some level of revenge on the side who drew 2-2 with Celtic at Cappielow in February.

It was a dominating display throughout by the young who fielded a team all eligible to play at u-19 level but delivering the intensity of performance demanded throughout the club.

Celtic really should have had more than two goals to show for their efforts, the quality of the performance was high but there was little threat or challenge from the home side who barely got started.

made a number of changes to the side that won 1-0 at Falkirk with Kerr and Dan Higgins forming a new look central defensive partnership while Anthony Ralston made a welcome return at right back.

Celtic poured forward from the first whistle with Kerr and Higgins both coming close with headers from corner kicks in the first five minutes.

Kerr again came close to opening the scoring in the 12th minute with a low shot that flew wide of the post but the opening goal was only delayed by two minutes when Thomson drilled a low shot into the net from a short corner on the left.

Six minutes later Archibald glanced in a header from an inswinging Thomson free-kick after he had been fouled on the left.

Celtic should have added to their two goal first half lead as the ball flowed towards the Saints goal down both flanks and through the centre of the park with the homeside unable to muster up much resistance.

Ten minutes from the interval Archibald should have found the target but after making space for himself in the box he poked his shot wide of Reece Willison’s left hand post.

After being given the runaround in the first half St Mirren elected to park the bus after the break with virtually two banks of five used to minimise chances for the visitors. The tactic was successful with Celtic continuing to dominate possession but struggling to carve out chances.

Sam Wardrop, Brandon Payne and Jamie McCart were all introduced early in the second half but with the homeside reluctant to cross the half way line Celtic struggled to create openings..

CELTIC: Doohan; Ralston (Wardop 46), Kerr, Higgins, Waters (McCart 63); Murray (Payne 57), Hill; Hendry, Thomson, Archibald, Miller

SUBS: Hazard, Lafferty