Morton chief executive Warren Hawke wants an early postponement of his side’s Scottish Cup tie against Celtic!
Celtic have been involved in a massive snow clearing exercise to ensure that the match goes ahead with the area around the stadium cleared of snow.
The worst of the weather has cleared and although there is an amber weather warning the lunchtime Saturday kick off allows fans who wish to travel to make their way to the game and home again in daylight.
Morton haven’t trained since their defeat against Livingston on Tuesday night with Hawke pleading for the game to be postponed.
Speaking to his club website the Cappielow chief said: “Firstly, I’d just like to say that Celtic have done a phenomenal job to get the pitch, stadium and surrounding areas ready, and I wouldn’t expect anything less.
“However, it must be much bigger than that, because everybody who’s travelling from Inverclyde – not just our fans – is attempting to get there from an area that has experienced some of the heaviest snowfall in the country.
“Geographically, people will also travel to Celtic Park from down in England, from the east of Scotland, from the north of Scotland and so on.
“We will have supporters risking life and limb to travel to a football match while the Met Office is issuing warnings to avoid non-essential travel. Ultimately, it isn’t about the area around Celtic Park.
“It’s about people getting out of their driveways and onto the main roads SAFELY and without accident and harm. Therefore, the decision on the game goes much further than ‘is the pitch playable and the stadium clear?’
“We have to look at every single aspect. Supporter safety has to be key and I don’t think anyone can guarantee that at this moment in time and I fear for a lot of Morton supporters trying to get to this game tomorrow.
“Surely the Scottish Football Association and Police Scotland will come together and make a sensible early decision in the best interests of the safety of everyone.”
With the match being televised Morton can expect to pick up a cheque for around £80,000 which would be at risk if the game is postponed with the re-arranged date of March 14 set aside for the Champions League.