Quantcast
Latest News

Doncaster finally finds his voice more than two years after Celtic players came under attack

|
Image for Doncaster finally finds his voice more than two years after Celtic players came under attack

After more than two years of complete silence as players come under attack on the pitch Neil Doncaster has finally found his voice.

Maybe if he had spoken out in April 2017 some of the current problems wouldn’t have occurred.

On the 29th of April 2017 Celtic won 5-1 at Ibrox, a day of complete joy for all hoops supporters but a genuine Shame Game for the Scottish football authorities. Shame over the events at Ibrox and more shame over washing their hands at their complete failure to COMMENT let alone take any action.

Neither club involved, the SFA or SPFL said a word, made a comment or raised any charges. It almost seemed like a concerted cover up to pretend that nothing had happened.

The Sun reported:

MORONS took the shine off the last Old Firm clash of the season as Rangers fans hurled missiles and sickening racial abuse at Celtic stars.

Yobs also hit Celts star Scott Brown with a coin and threw a battery at team-mate Leigh Griffiths as his side thrashed their rivals 5-1 at Ibrox.

And cops are probing a moron caught on TV making monkey gestures at goalscorer Scott Sinclair.

After Celtic’s opening goal one fan from the Sandy Jardine Stand got on the pitch to confront Scott Brown, there was a noted absence of stewards and Police Officers at that part of the ground.

Over the last two and a half years more missile throwing incidents have taken place. In a game at Livingston last season an assistant referee needed treatment to a head cut after being hit with a missile. The SPFL took no action.

Last season James Tavernier was confronted by a supporter trying to get on the pitch at Easter Road during a Friday night match. Incredibly someone inside the SPFL sanctioned the two clubs to meet again last week on the Friday before Christmas!

Responding to the latest missile incident Doncaster told the Daily Record:

The scenes witnessed at Easter Road were as depressing as they were unacceptable. Once again, a small number of so-called fans have tarnished our game and like all genuine supporters the SPFL utterly condemns their actions.

It’s extremely encouraging to see the significant investment which Hibs have made in a state-of-the-art CCTV system paying off. Their ability to identify the alleged perpetrators so swiftly is great news for the game and I want to congratulate Leeann Dempster for her robust approach to this issue.”

No action will be taken against Hibs over the bottle thrown on the pitch, with the SPFL refusing to hand out any punishment clubs know that lip service is being paid to safety and security.

Share this article

Online and independent- the only way to be. Enjoying instant news access and reaction, following the trends if not an influencer!