Date: 16th May 2016 at 7:16pm
Written by:

While Jack Aitchison was preparing to write his name into the history books his u-17 team-mates were involved in a bizarre 5-in-a-row of their own.

Michael O’Halloran’s side notched up five consecutive goals during the match- unfortunately they were sandwiched either side of Partick Thistle going two goals in front then scoring three times in the last five minutes to grab a draw.

With Mikey Johnstone scoring four times but failing to come out on the winning side it all added up to a bizarre morning at Barrowfield for the Glasgow Cup holders.

Broque Watson and Aidan McAdams returned from Scotland duty to take their place in the Celtic side with Watson given the loan striker role playing ahead of Johnston, Kerr McInroy and Ross McLaughlin.

Celtic started brightly with McInroy and Stephen Welsh forcing corner in the opening two minutes but it was Thistle that opened the scoring in the 13th minute when Higgins netted from close range after McAdams had pushed a free kick onto the woodwork.

Ten minutes later Thistle doubled their lead when Higgins timed his run perfectly to get behind the Celtic defence and tuck a low shot beyond McAdams.

Seven minutes from the break Johnston brought Celtic level when he converted from the penalty spot after being sent tumbling after making a run deep into the Thistle box.

Five minutes from the interval Celtic drew level when Wallace Duffy created space in the penalty box then pulled the ball back for Innes Murray who steered his shot into the corner of the net.

Keiran Campbell replaced McInroy at the break and moved into the striking role with Watson dropping back to the left flank, soon afterwards Ewan Henderson replaced the injured Shaun Bowers with captain Lewis Bell dropping into the centre of defence with Welsh moving to right-back.

On the hour mark Johnston put Celtic in front when he showed great composure sent through on goal after passes from Bell and Henderson opened up the Thistle defence.

Five minutes later it looked to be game over when Johnstone drifted across the park 20 yards from goal before finding space to rifle in a low diagonal shot that the visiting keeper couldn’t get near to complete his hat-trick.

With seven minutes remaining Johnston scored his fifth of the match from the penalty spot after Murray was fouled just inside the box.

A 5-2 win seemed a decent return for the young Celts before they headed along London Road to parade the Glasgow Cup but the last five minutes of the match will be one that they won’t forget quickly.

When a Thistle forward fired in their third goal it seemed little more than a consolation, when another long range shot found the net with two minutes remaining an element of panic set in.

That panic was justified in the final minute when the Thistle right winger came in off the flank to fire in a low shot across McAdams into the net.

With 20 wins and 2 defeats in the league before yesterday’s match a draw was overdue but not of the 5-5 variety.

On Thursday night Celtic face Hamilton at New Douglas Park with a win needed to clinch the title before completing the season away to Hibs before hosting Hamilton.

CELTIC: McAdams; Bowers (Henderson 52), Welsh, Duffy, Church; Bell (c), Murray (McKendry 85); McLaughlin, McInroy (Campbell 46), Johnston (Mearns 85); Watson

League scorers so far (22 matches): Johnston 24, Aitchison 16, McLaughlin 8, Bell 5, Duffy 3, Watson 2, Campbell 3, McInroy 3, Murray 3, Higgins 2, McAllister 2, Thorburn 2, Potter 2, Antonazzi 1, Diver 1, Church 1, Barr 1, Henderson 1, Payne 1, Welsh 1

Glasgow Cup (7 matches): Johnston 8, Aitchison 5, Diver 1, Campbell 2, Antonazzi 1, Watson 1, Potter 1, Bowers 1