Date: 20th August 2019 at 10:05pm
Written by:

Celtic’s reserve side were given a cruel lesson by Clyde in the Glasgow Cup with the First Division side enjoying a 3-1 win in the sectional competition.

Tommy McIntyre’s side played well in stages but lacked the ruthlessness that their hosts displayed with economic use of the ball and great efficiency around goal.

The part-timers completed a shift in their main job then turned in a highly professional performance with goals either side of half-time fiercely guarded. Ewan Henderson did score with a 77th minute penalty but there was to be no late equaliser.

Celtic started on the front foot, forcing two corners in the first five minutes but never got any closer to scoring than blocked shots from Luca Connell and Jack Aitchison.

Clyde settled into a well organised defensive formation, forcing Celtic to go wide with limited opportunities.

Five minutes from the break Armstrong Oko Flex burst forward, exchanged passes with Luca Connell at the edge of the box but saw his shot blocked with Clyde breaking quickly to take the lead.

A cross from the left found Ally Love in space with his header looping into the net to put the home side in front.

Celtic started the second half with real intent, in one move Jack Aitchison saw a shot saved, Henderson’s follow up hit the post then Connell shot over but in the 52nd minute Clyde doubled their lead.

Liam Hughes pulled off a great block from a close range header but from the corner Craig Howie rose well to head home from 10 yards out

Celtic continued to push forward but weren’t getting any breaks around goal with Clyde happy to sit in deep and continue to threaten on the counter-attack.

With 13 minutes left to play Oko Flex was sent tumbling in the penalty box, after a delay to allow Clyde sub Danny Lennon (who turned 50 in April) onto the park Henderson tucked away the penalty.

Celtic pushed strongly through to the final whistle for an equaliser but with Lennon organising and screening in front of his back four the home side held out to win with salt rubbed in the wounds when Stephen Welsh slid the ball into his own net as he desperately tried to chase back in stoppage time..

CELTIC: Hughes, Coffey, Welsh, Deas, Miller (Church 62); Robertson, Burt (McGrath 54); Henderson, Connell, Oko-Flex; Aitchison (Harper 70)

SUBS: Mullen, Paterson, Mazis, McBride

CLYDE: McGee, Cuddihy (Lyon 41′), Allison (Lennon 76′), McNiff, Rumsby, Howie, Wallace (Lamont 46′), CHRIS MCSTAY, Smith, Johnston, Love.